How to Install Bathroom Pedestal Sinks and Faucet Fixtures? A new bathroom sink can be an elegant addition to your bathroom. Pedestal sinks are classic bath fixtures that are functional without seeming bulky and can really open up the room. With minimal tools, you can install one of these elegant bathroom fixtures yourself. Here are a few simple steps for installing pedestal sinks in your home.
Installing a Bathroom Pedestal Sink:
1. Center the sink pedestal and basin. Pedestal sinks need to be centered in front of the sink’s drainpipe and water supply pipes in the wall.
Place the sink basin on the pedestal and carefully slide it into position against the wall, centered directly with the drainpipe.
Level the basin and use a pencil to mark, on the wall, the position of the mounting holes, located on the back of the sink.
2. Attach the faucet fixture.
Pedestal sinks accept a wide variety of faucets; however, you need to double-check the installation requirements before you select one for your sink. Carefully remove the basin from the pedestal. Install the faucet and stopper valve assembly according to the instructions. Depending on your faucet, you may or may not be asked to apply caulk to seal the faucet assembly.
3.Attach the basin to the pedestal. Pedestal sinks must be well-anchored to the wall.
Drill your pre-marked holes in the wall for the mounting bolts. If you won’t be mounting the bolts into wall studs, you will need to install toggle bolts or others anchor that can support the pedestal sink.
Apply a bead of caulk to the top of the pedestal to seal the basin to it. Rest the sink basin on the pedestal and line the sink up with your mounting bolts. Then attach nuts to secure the sink to the bolts.
4. Connect the water lines. Attach the hot and cold water supply lines to the valves on the sink and then to the appropriate supply pipes in the wall.
5. Connect the P-trap to the sink. Pedestal sinks may or may not include a P-trap with the sink. Attach the P-trap to the stopper assembly and then connect to the sewer drainpipe.
Pedastal Sink Installation Tips:
1. Before installing a pedestal sink, turn off the water to the bathroom or the entire house, and then drain the water from the sink plumbing.
2. When you are connecting pipes to pedestal sinks, apply plumber’s sealant to the threads on each pipe connection.